Thursday, November 23, 2006

2nd opinion = new R.E. Thankful for this community.

Well, I had my 2nd opinion talk with a second RE. It was enlightening. And I have to say thanks to this community for encouraging me to step out and get that second opinion. Seems that this RE would have done the surgery last month when he felt I had at least 3 possible eggs that were of an appropriate size- and he feels that the mix up in the amount of lupron I was taking was a factor and that I was most likely over supressed. This information I kind of expected-- but what suprised me was that he said for this last cycle he would not have started it-- my E2 was 103, he says he would have given me something to lower my E2 level as he never stims unless the E2 level is below 70. Hmm, now that is news. He also expressed some concern about my previous RE's urging to use donor eggs. He says that since I have never actually made it to IVF that he has no information to base the quality of my egg on and he'd rather get me to an completed IVF cycle so we can at least evaluate the egg quality to determine if a donor egg is required. He felt that being a slow responder to the drugs does not mean that I can't have bilogical children- it just means I respond to the meds slowly.

He talked to me for alittle over an hour-- and one of the very first things he did when we began to speak was give me his email. He wants me to ask questions and he said he answers his email 3-4 times a day. I also took some time to speak to a friend I have who used a DE to conceive her child. She was incredibly encouraging to me to really step out and explore my options- if I want to have a biological child then I should try that as long as I want to-- because I have plenty of time to have a DE child. Hmm, never considered that. It all has felt a bit that time was grinding down on me. It's nice to have been given a level set so I can step back and get some breathing space.

So what is my plan? Yes, of course I have one. The new RE suggested taking December off because my body seems to react better to cycles that are every other month as opposed to back to back. I like this idea because my body is clearly confused about what cycle we are in. I should have started my cycle 4 days ago according to my last RE. I figure it is late because we stopped the meds part way through the cycle. So there you have it. I am taking December off, relaxing during the holidays and the starting up in January. Very cool.

11 comments:

Meg said...

Ellie - Sounds like a really productive meeting; that's great to hear. I have so many stories about people who has more success once their RE tried a different approach or they changed REs. I guess each one gets stuck in their little mindset, and the type of patients they are used to treating.

Anyway, great news. I hope you enjoy your break. Stimulation can't be good for your ovaries; mine were still a bit swollen at my (covert) 14 week scan, which is pretty scary.

Anonymous said...

Much better news. Have a good December off.

Bea

Sherry said...

Oh Ellie - I am so glad you talked to a new RE and you seem to have a good plan going forward! It sounds like what the new RE had to say gave you a breath of fresh air.

Enjoy the time off and recharge those ovaries!

Lut C. said...

So, I take you've made the decision to switch then. I'm so glad the second opinion opened some options for you.

December is a tough month resting or cycling. Personally, I'm taking refuge in a good bottle of wine.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that the second opinion offered you good options and that you have a plan in place. I really hope you get to enjoy your holidays

noela said...

I'm so glad to hear you have a second opinion, and a better plan of action!

It sounds like it is really well thought out plan -- and the RE sounds great, spending so much time with you and answering your questions. That is so, so important.

I must say, many days I am jealous of the RE options many of you have -- Calgary only has the one clinic so I am "stuck". And I would have to seek out ANOTHER US clinic for a second US RE opinion....and I just don't know if I have it in me!

I hope I get some answers at my RE appt in December...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your holidays, and that the break is relaxing and rejuvenating!

xx
Nilla

Anonymous said...

Excellent news!! Really happy to hear this. Enjoy your holidays without having to worry about injections. :)

Hopeful Mother said...

Ellie, this is great news. I have been very worried about the advice/care you had been receiving from your 1st RE.

It is great that you have a renewed hope too and your prognosis may not be as bad as your previous RE would have you believe. It's true, you have not really made it to a stage where your egg quality can be evaluated, so it is really still unknown.

Would you mind contacting me off-blog via email and giving me the name of your 2nd opinion RE? I think we are in the same general area and I'd like to know who you spoke with in case I'd like a 2nd opinion at some point.

This is great news, Ellie. I'm so happy you are working with someone devoted to helping you.

Heather said...

Sounds like a great doctor. Glad you got the second opinion. Enjoy the month off.

Anonymous said...

That's just wonderful news. Your new RE sounds great.

beagle said...

Sounds like a very worthwhile trip to RE#2. Enjoy your break!